“VERBUM MITTITUR SPIRANS AMOREM”
Fortnight for Freedom June 21-July 4Bishop Flores to Discuss Religious Freedom at Designated MassesThe Diocese of Brownsville will join dioceses nationwide in highlighting religious liberty during the Fortnight for Freedom, June 21-July 4.
The Fortnight celebration opens nationally with a June 21 Mass at 7 p.m. at Baltimore’s Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, celebrated by Archbishop William E. Lori of Baltimore.
In the Diocese of Brownsville, Bishop Daniel E. Flores will address the topic of religious freedom at five Masses during the Fortnight. On Friday, June 22, the Feast of St. Thomas More, Bishop Flores will offer a reflection on Church and State during the noon Mass at Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Brownsville.
He will offer a reflection on the apostolic witness of the Church on Friday, June 29, Feast of Saints Peter and Paul, during the noon Mass at Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Brownsville.
Other scheduled Masses during the Fortnight of Freedom are as follows:
Sunday, July 1 11 a.m., Bilingual Mass Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine
Sunday, July 1 5:30 p.m., Life-teen Mass Mary Mother of the Church in Brownsville
Wednesday, July 4 Noon MassIndependence Day Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Brownsville Brief reflection on the need to pray for our nation, her leaders, and for the freedom of the Church.
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops website (www.usccb.org) has a variety of resources available for parishes, including prayer cards and bulletin inserts (http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/religious-liberty/fortnight-for-freedom/fortnight-freedom-prayer-resources.cfm). Additionally, the bishops’ statements and background information are available on the issues and action page (http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/religious-liberty).
This Week on Diocese Insight This week on Diocese Insight, a half-hour program on KMBH-TV, host Brenda Nettles Riojas interviews Walter Lukaszek about Protecting God’s Children. This week’s program also includes a Youth Works segment by Monica Benitez. The show will broadcast on Sunday, June 24 at 11 a.m. and on Friday, June 30 at 5:30 p.m.
Continuing Education Session Scheduled for Permanent Deacons In an effort to provide permanent deacons with continuing education, the next scheduled session is set for Saturday, June 30 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Our Lady of Mercy Parish Hall in Mercedes.
The presenter, Father Oliver Angel, JCL Judicial Vicar for the dioceses of Brownsville and Laredo and pastor of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary in Mission, will focus on Canon Law and marriage. For more information or assistance, please contact Gloria Morales at the Office of Permanent Deacons in San Juan at (956) 784-5007 or email
Catholic Charities Offers Pregnancy CounselingCatholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley offers free, confidential, and experienced pregnancy counseling to families who are expecting a child and who may be facing a crisis (from unborn up to their first years of life). The goal is to help individuals overcome their crises, offering alternatives to abortion, saving lives, and living out our pro-life convictions.
Please call (956) 702-4088 to schedule an appointment. Counseling is offered at two sites: Catholic Charities in San Juan, 700 N. Virgen de San Juan Blvd. and Catholic Charities in Brownsville, 955 W. Price Road.
Steward & Stacy’s Summer Day Camp with Bishop Flores July 18The Development Office of the Diocese of Brownsville is hosting a free day-long event for children ages 8 to 11 on Wednesday, July 18 at the Catholic Pastoral Center in San Juan. The camp will run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will include arts and crafts, catechesis on the Ten Commandments and meals. The event will conclude with a Mass at 4 p.m. in the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle-National Shrine.
Volunteers are needed for this event. Please consider donating your time and talent to help make this a fun, memorable and lasting experience for the children of the Diocese of Brownsville. Please contact Rosie Rodriguez, Jesse Salinas or Lulu Ramirez at the Development Office for more information at (956) 781-5323.
Office of Youth MinistryThis summer is gearing up to be an exciting experience for our youth. Below are some upcoming summer programs that will happen this year.
Summer Softball – We are currently registering for middle school, high school and adult teams. There will be four Sunday games and a tournament. The Interest Form was due by May 31 with a $50 deposit per team. The remaining forms and the remaining balance are due on Wednesday, June 27. For more information, visit: http://www.cdobym.org/sports.htm
Youth Serve: July 13-14 – an overnight middle school service project/retreat. This experience is intended to raise awareness of Catholic social teaching in an age-appropriate method. There is a cost of $55 per student and only 40 participants will be accepted based on a first come, first serve basis. For more information, visit: http://www.cdobym.org/youthserve-adventure-in-service.htm
Youth Leader: July 23-27 – a week long experience for high school students who would like to develop their leadership and discipleship skills. This is an excellent experience for youth who would like to minister to other high school youth (peer ministry). The cost for Youth Leader is $100 per person. This cost includes the program content, meals, and lodging at Cone Oasis Baptist Camp in La Feria. Parishes are encouraged to send at least 1-2 youth and at least one adult for each parish. First come, first serve basis.For more information, visit: http://www.cdobym.org/youthleader-peer-ministry-training.htm
Please feel free to contact me at
Registration Underway for San Juan Diego Ministry Institute Registration is underway for summer semester classes through the San Juan Diego Ministry Institute. The classes available for the summer include “Youth Ministry, “Theology of the Body.”
Classes will be offered in Brownsville, Harlingen, Mercedes, San Juan, and La Joya. For more information contact the San Juan Diego Ministry Institute at (956) 542-1556, (956)784-5059 or via e-mail at
Catholic Family Life Ministers ConferenceThe National Association of Catholic Family Life Ministers (NACFLM) Conference will be held in Dallas Texas this year from July 25-28. If you are interested in a registration form, please contact the Family Life Office at (956) 784-5012.
NOTE: The early bird discount for the complete conference ends July 1.
The conference offers a variety of speakers on relevant topics important to today’s Catholic families, and to those who minister with them, including first-time tracts for the Hispanic/Latino ministers and divorced Catholics, and a Saturday Festival/Fiesta aimed at uniting participants in the goal to be a marriage-building Church.
CYAM News (Campus and Young Adult Ministry):Christian Life Seminar - Coffee House StyleCome enjoy good coffee, good discussions and great people, as young adults (age 20 - 39) gather for a summer formation course. The Christian Life Seminar (CLS) is an integrated course intended to lead seminar participants to a renewed understanding of and response to God’s call to us as Christians. The seminar has a total of 10 separate sessions, held once a week every Tuesday from 6:30-8:30 p.m., starting June 12 – Aug. 14. Location: Diocesan Pastoral Center, San Juan, TX. For more info, please email Miguel Santos:
Campus Ministry Assistant Needed in the Brownsville AreaThe Office of Campus & Young Adult Ministry is looking for an individual who is passionate about ministry with young adults, is fluent in Spanish, and proficient with computers/social media. Someone who can play guitar/lead a choir would be a big plus. The position for Assistant Ministry Coordinator for the UTB Newman Center is a 20 hour/week paid position. If you know of young adult(s) who could fit the profile, please email resume to Miguel Santos:
CYAM Facebook Campaign: "100 days, 1000 likes”; Raffle for new IPadIf you are a young adult from the Diocese of Brownsville and want to win a new IPad, simply like our facebook page (www.facebook.com/cyampage) and fill-out your contact info for a chance to win. No purchase necessary; all rules and offer details are available on our facebook page or on our website: www.cyam.net. Raffle to take place Aug. 7, commemorating the transfiguration of our Lord.
Valley Awakening No. 1... A Diocesan Young-Adult Retreat set for June 22-24This groundbreaking retreat is specifically for young adults age 21-35 NOT currently attending college. Valley Awakening is a wonderful opportunity for young adults to connect or reconnect with the Catholic faith during this 3-day retreat. Location: Diocesan Pastoral Center, San Juan.
Good Shepherd Night Benedictine Monastery of the Good Shepherd is hosting a Special Evening with Opera, Oldies and a Tasty Meal on Saturday June 23 at 6 p.m. Tickets are $ 25 per person checks can be made and mailed to Benedict Sister P.O. Box 1501 Rio Grande City, TX 78582. Seating is limited. Proceeds will be used to build a new retreat center. Entertainment includes the talents of fine professional musicians & vocalists. Annual presentation of Good Shepherd Awards will be presented. For sponsorship information please call 956-486-2680. There will also be a sale of religious items and gifts.
Married Couples RetreatIt takes much effort just to make ends meet in our world today. Do you wish you could talk about something besides all the stresses in your life? Attend a married couples retreat on July 3, at the Benedictine Monastery in Starr County from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The retreat will give couples the time and tools to revitalize romance, deepen communication, and nourish the spirituality in your marriage. Presenters are Raul and Dora Gonzalez from Austin. Space is limited. For more information, please call (956) 486-2680.
Foster Parents NeededLutheran Social Services is seeking quality foster parents to help care for abused and neglected children in the Rio Grande Valley. For more information, please contact Erasmo Diaz at (956) 624-4168 or send an e-mail to
English as a Second LanguageThe English Language Institute, UTPA, Edinburg, offers courses in English as a Second Language. For information, call (956) 665-2133.
Summer Meal Sites Open in JuneCatholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley is collaborating once again with the USDA Food and Nutrition Service and the Texas Department of Agriculture to provide meals throughout the summer at different community sites for children between ages two and 18 years.
The Summer Food Service Program being implemented across the Rio Grande Valley provides free, nutritious meals and snacks to help children in low-income areas get the nutrition they need to learn, play, and grow, throughout the summer months when they are out of school. Catholic Charities has agreed to sponsor 25 meal locations this summer beginning on June 1. Last year in Texas 2.3 million children qualified for free and reduced-price meals in the National School Lunch Program, which make them eligible to participate in Summer Food Service Program.
• Bookkeeper - Our Lady of Sorrows Church – McAllen. Interested qualified candidates should be referred to Linda Gonzalez at Our Lady of Sorrows Church at 956-686-0251, fax: 956-686-0322
• Full-time Coordinator for Religious Education - Sacred Heart Church in Mercedes for more information please call (956) 565-0271.
• Full-time High School Biology and Mathematics Teacher Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to:
Rev. Mario A. Avilés, C.O., Director, Pharr Oratory Schools.
For more information visit our website www.oratoryschools.org
• Montessori Teacher Pre-K3- K5 - St. Anthony Catholic School is currently seeking applicants for the position of for the 2012-2013 school year. The applicant must possess a Montessori Certification. Preference will be given to those who also have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood and/or those with Montessori experience. Applicants must submit their CDOB Catholic School Employment Application, resume, and references to the school office by June 20. For more information, contact the school office at (956) 423-2486. Application packets may also be downloaded at www.saintanthonyeagles.com. Completed applications may be sent via email to:
• Part-time 8th grade Language Arts teacher for the 2012-2013 school year - Guadalupe Regional Middle School. Experience and certified preferred. Please contact the school at (956) 504-5568 for an application. Applications currently being accepted.
• Part time - Assistant Campus Minister - Newman Center in Brownsville. Interested, qualified candidates, please email resume and letter of intent to Miguel Santos:
• Part-time Janitor – Basilica Our Lady of San Juan del Valle – National Shrine. Contact Melinda Singleterry at (956) 787-0033 (weekends and Monday)
• Part Time Art Teacher; Part Time Bus Driver; Part Time Music Teacher; Part Time Spanish Teacher - Juan Diego Academy Interested persons should submit the application for professional employment contact Bob Schmidt, by e-mail at (
• Payroll/Human Resources. Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to:
Rev. Mario A. Avilés, C.O., Director, Pharr Oratory Schools.
For more information visit our website www.oratoryschools.org
• Principal - San Martin de Porres Catholic School is a PK3-3rd grade, opening a 4th grade in August 2012, is seeking applicants for the position of principal for the 2012-2013 school year. The school is located in Weslaco, Texas. Applicants must be a practicing Catholic with a Master’s degree (18 credit hours in educational administration and supervision courses) or a valid, appropriate state certificate for principal. For more information and an application please contact the Catholic Schools Office at (956)787-8571 or email
• Receptionist/Secretary - Our Lady of the Holy Rosary parish is accepting applications for a full time (35 hours) secretary/receptionist. Interested qualified candidates should be referred to Rev. Oliver Angel: fax 956-581-1906.
• Teacher positions for 1st and 4th grades. Part-time Middle School Positions for Language Arts, Science and Math. Part-time music teacher. Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic School. Please send resume to Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic School in Mission or call 585-6445 for more information.
• Teacher positions for 5th -8th science and 5th grade religion. St. Joseph Catholic School, Edinburg, Please call Sister Kathleen Murray at (956)-383-3957, Monday – Thursday, 8a.m. – 4p.m. for more information.
Calendar of Events
• June 21 – Golden Years Gala Benefit for San Juan Nursing Home, Mission
• June 22 – 25 - BOMA NFP Training
• June 23-29 Catholic Youth Renovation Project
• June 23 - Oldie and Opera Meal Fundraiser
Please submit information to be included in the Weekly Update to Brenda Nettles Riojas, Director of Diocesan Relations by e-mail at
Diocesan Relations Catholic Diocese of Brownsville 700 N. Virgen de San Juan San Juan, TX 78589
Phone:(956) 784-5008 Director: Brenda Nettles Riojas firstname.lastname@example.org
Catholic Diocese of Brownsville1910 University Boulevard • Brownsville, Texas 78520 • (956) 542-2501 • (956) 542-6751 Fax 700 North Virgen de San Juan Blvd • San Juan, Texas 78589 • (956) 781-5323 • (956) 784-5081 Fax Contact Us Copyright © 2011 Diocese of Brownsville. All Rights Reserved.Site by Solutio